There is no shortage of patriotic movies that will have you chanting “USA!” by the end. However, there are certain movies that are specifically related to the Fourth of July and they deserve to be watched this weekend.
Below are the three movies that I feel MUST be watched tomorrow.
1. 1776 (1972, musical) – I was first introduced to this movie in my senior AP US History class (shout out to Mr. Midler!) and instantly fell in love. A History lesson in musical form? Be still my heart! The movies centers around John Adams attempting to get the Continental Congress to declare their independence from England and Thomas Jefferson’s efforts to write a pretty important document.
- “Wait, don’t I know that actor from somewhere?” – John Adams is played by William Daniels…Mr. Feeny from Boy Meets World!
- Favorite quote – In discussing the nitpicking of the original draft of the Declaration of Independence – “They won’t be happy until they remove one of the F’s from Jefferson’s name!”.
- Before you watch… – 1776 is surprisingly risque. There are references to sex throughout so if you have impressionable kids at home, maybe save this one for after bedtime.
2. Jaws (1975, Thriller) – While not an immediately obvious Independence Day choice, Jaws is most definitely a movie related to this holiday. In the small island community of Amity, beach tourism is vital to the town’s survival. A massive Great White shark threatens to cause the beaches to close on their most important holiday, THE FOURTH OF JULY. How many people have to die before the mayor agrees to shut down the beaches and hire someone to kill the shark?
- “Wait, don’t I know that actor from somewhere?” – Richard Dreyfuss plays Hooper…you might remember him from a million movies, including Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Mr. Holland’s Opus.
- Favorite quote – “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
- Before you watch… – Exercise good judgment based on your Fourth of July plans. If you are heading to a New England beach on Monday…maybe save this one until AFTER the beach. Because even though this movie is over 40 years old, it will still cause you to pause before you go more than ankle-deep into the water.
3.Independence Day (1996, Science Fiction) – Duh. I can’t have a list about Independence Day movies without mentioning Independence Day. And remember, I’m referring to the original, not the newest movie. In Independence Day, our planet is under attack from aliens from an unknown world. Our country assembles a group of misfits to try and save the world.
- “Wait, don’t I know that actor from somewhere?” – Margaret Colin from Gossip Girl plays White House communications director Constance. I’m assuming you know 95% of the rest of the cast.
- Favorite quote – Will Smith, while dragging an alien through the dessert – “I could have been at a barbecue!” – Have fun yelling that line all weekend. I know I will.
- Before you watch… – This is one of the greatest movies ever made. It will be on TV all day tomorrow, so turn it on! Everyone loves
quotingwatching this movie…and if they don’t? Get new friends.
So what do you think? Will you be watching any of these movies? Do you have another movie in mind for tomorrow? Let me know in the comments!